When was the last time you thought to yourself I need a vacation! When an abled person has this thought they can easily plan a vacation without having any physical limitations stand in your way. That may not be the case if you are disabled because some people with disabilities are not able to travel. Karly’s Muscular Dystrophy makes it so she is physically unable to travel so I interviewed her and asked some questions about her experience with being unable to travel.Why can’t you travel?
- I can’t travel on my own and my mom is also my brother’s caregiver. Traveling is even harder for him, so it’s not really an option for us.
How far can you travel before it becomes too much?
- A few hours
Have you ever been able to travel if so when did you lose the ability to be able to travel?
- It’s never been an option for my family.
If you can’t travel on family vacations what do you do?
- We just make the best of where we live. We go to Disney and Orlando a lot. We try to make fun plans that are close to home.
What would hotels need to provide in order for you to be able to travel?
- Plenty of space so we could use our hoyer lift. Providing a hoyer lift would be a big help because it’s hard to bring with us. Adjustable beds are helpful and the beds need space underneath for the lift to roll under.
If you were able to create a new travel agency for the disabled what services would that agency provide?
- I honestly don’t know why no one has thought of this yet because there are a lot of people with disabilities who cannot travel. If Karly had the opportunity to create a new travel agency for the disabled the services would include research into accessible locations, help planning and advocating and staff to travel with those who need assistance.
Do you ever become depressed about not being able to travel? How do you get through it?
- All the time. I just try to get out when I can and try to think of ways I could make it work in the future.
Do you have any out of town family? Does it bother you that you are not able to travel to go see them?
- All of my extended family is out of town. It bothers me sometimes, but my aunt comes to visit occasionally.
Since you are unable to travel, does it bother you when others talk about their travel plans?
- I enjoy hearing about it because it’s interesting, but it makes me sad and jealous because it feels unfair.
If you used to be able to travel but lost the ability what do you miss most?
- I’ve never traveled.
When going to events what is the biggest physical challenge?
- Inaccessible buildings they’re either too crowded or everything is too high, too low, or just can’t accommodate my wheelchair!
Sometimes a person with a disability has to do different things with their family when they visit so they will be able to participate! These activities are just as fun as other activities the only difference is now they are accommodating the person with the disability. My friend Karly loves Disney and she goes all the time because that is something she can do and enjoy at the same time! If you are unable to travel and get depressed about it find something that you can do and enjoy that is close to home. I would personally like to thank Karly for letting me conduct this interview because without her this blog would not have been possible! If you have any questions about traveling when you are unable to go far please leave them in the comments below.
Sharing Is Caring And If You Liked This Post You Can Pin It Here!